Augusta has its own public middle and high school (which has some students from nearby towns without a set high school, but most of its students live in Augusta). It receives municipal services from the city of Augusta.In the past, Augusta had two public middle schools and two Little Leagues (the little leagues were called "Augusta East" and "Augusta West") that were at least roughly based on the two sides of the Kennebec River, and even today one will hear people speak of "the east side" or "the west side." I would assume almost everyone in Augusta knows what side of the Kennebec River they live on.
The current State House district plan (used in primary, general and special elections from 2014 through 2021) has most 83.87% of "Augusta East" in one state House district (where it makes up of the Kennebec River in one district (where it makes up 85.86% of that district; "Augusta West" making up the other 14.14%), but the remaining 16.13% of "Augusta East" (7.87% of Augusta) is in a district stretching well outside Augusta where Augusta residents make up only 16.09% of that district. "Augusta West" is too big for one State House district but at least has one House district entirely within it, with the remainder of "Augusta West" in another district entirely in Augusta.
Your state accepts communities of interest as public input. Download your map and then visit this site.